Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bob Coppola Looking At Mayoral Run

Bob Coppola, former Councilman and School Board Member, is “exploring the possibility” of running for Mayor. “I have to decide by March,” he said, “And I really can’t say more until I have an official committee in place.

“I like Mayor Murphy. She’s a friend. But friends can differ on policies.

“There are some really tough issues coming up and I want to understand them all before I begin making comments.”

Similarly, Bob had no comment when asked if would be seeking the Democratic nod and Democratic Town Committee Chair John Lillis didn’t offer more. “He’s a registered Democrat and most certainly will be given consideration by the Nominating Committee.

He was a viable Member of the Town Council and the Board of Ed so he’s a legitimate candidate.”

Pat Sherry, Republican Town Committee Chair, was more forthcoming. “Given his history with the Democratic Party, I doubt the Dems will give him the nod. He left them on bad terms and then joined the Republican Party that supported him for the Board of Ed. He then returned to the Democratic Party. There's really a lot of history here. My guess is that he’ll wind up running on the New Milford First ticket.”

Bob is retiring from the teaching profession on June 30, 2009.

No comments: